- 4 medium-sized beets
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt
- 4 squares of KIRI cheese or 2 small squares of cream cheese (3 ounces total) or any white cheese spread
- 1 teaspoon of mashed garlic (mash with a pinch of salt)
- 3 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 2 pinches of Aleppo pepper (or any red pepper)
- 3 grinds of fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- Roast the beets in a 350F oven till fully cooked; cool a little then peel and cut in chunks; place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add to the beets yogurt, tahini, mashed garlic with salt, parsley, KIRI squares or cream cheese, spices. Process for a few minutes until the mixture is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in small verrines or goblets with some arugula dressed with lemon and olive oil with a bit of garlic.
NOTE: KIRI cheese is a French product much loved in Lebanon. Made by the same folks who make La Vache qui rit cheese spread. It is sold in middle-eastern groceries and even some main supermarkets like Kroger (it is distributed by the same company that distributes all the middle-eastern products). It is used to make puddings and soups and pastries. Its taste is rather bland, just creamy. It comes in a goat cheese version.
If you are using cream cheese or KiRI in this mousse, remember to pull it out of the fridge an hour before, or warm it up a few seconds in the microwave, so that it will easily blend with the other ingredients.